Hello everybody! I'm going to be posting my updates from truck driving here as much as possible. I'll have photos, stories and other things that I will be putting on here so all of you can keep track of where I am and what I am doing. Be sure to keep coming back to check for my updates! - Chris

Saturday, February 18, 2006

I wish I was out there.... somewhere, anywhere but here!

Ha, sitting in the lobby of a best western is pretty boring. I have another day of this and then we head out on monday morning around 6am. I can't wait! Anyways, I took the hotel shuttle over to the "Clackamas Town Center" which is the largest mall in oregon. That place was crazy. So many stores, an ice skating rink and one of the biggest food court's I've ever seen. Somehow I ran into curtis and his family so I went with them into radioshack to research cell phones. I'm looking for a phone that has Blue tooth along with a external antenna port to go along with a big antenna I'm going to have mounted on my mirror. I'm not really sure what I should do for now. I just got a phone a couple months ago. It's no blue tooth and it has no antenna port. I'm debating just keeping it for awhile and live with the poor reception until I break down and really get one... I can deal with wire headset I suppose...

Heres what I'm getting for my truck. With a lot of help from Curtis (my trainer) and Don (another gordon driver) I've decided to go with the Cobra 29 CB radio with nightwatch. Meaning the faceplate lights up at night and looks real cool!



I'm getting a 400watt inverter that plugs into a cig lighter, a 13" TV and a cheap dvd player all of which are sold at any Loves or TA truckstop. I'm going to get this stuff real soon so when I get assigned my truck, I can be ready to roll right away.

Now, heres the hard part. Gordon runs 4 different models of trucks. The most recent model is the Coloumbia which my trainer has right now. I really like it although there is not a lot of legroom for someone my height. Next up is the Classic which has A LOT of leg room but the interior is rather old and does not have a lot of storage (which is VERY important. Gordon only has 50 or so of these trucks as they are reserved for the drivers who have been here the longest. After that there are some older Centuries which resemble the comlumbia but are about 3-5 years older. And last there are the old ex-dick simon trucks that supposedly just complete piles of junk although I've heard both good and bad.

My trainer can ask to get me a classic since I'm so tall and they can move the seat back if I need even more room, or I can go with what ever else they give me... Just a bunch of random babble I suppose... Leave a comment and let me know which truck you like best! (If you can tell a difference!?)


Freightliner Columbia


Freightliner Classic XL


Freightliner Century


Freightliner FLD

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Columbia or the Century :)

1:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Classic XL on the outside, but ur right about the interior though, I don't like how its designed either...I would probably go with the century or columbia becuz they do have a better turning radius compared 2 the classic, which helps at the truck stops and docks...I also like the Century's interior, lots of storage...Take it E-Z...

-ERIC-

10:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Free